WHO ARE YOU WRITING TO?
- WHO is it for?
- Who will read it?
- WHY will they read it?
- What’s in it for your readers?
- What’s in it for you?
- Are you PROMOTING or SELLING something? What?
- What is your area of EXPERTISE?
- What is the PURPOSE?
- What are you selling?
- What are you offering?
- How will you tell people your blog is available? (promotions online, by email, by snail mail, WOM, etc)
- Why do they care?
- Why should they read your posts out of ALL the information they have available to them in any given day?
- Why do you care if anyone reads it?
- What are you SUPPORTING with this effort? (professional relevance and viability, professional visibility, your available services, your books and publications, your products, etc)
- Are you a good writer?
- Do you have something interesting or relevant to say?
- Do you know how to use Key Words and Phrases to your advantage?
- How much time and effort do you want to put into your blog every week?
What kind of content will you include?
- white papers
- What resources do you have to promote your blog? (time, money, connections, social and professional capital, etc)
Where will you cross promote your effort?
- Other Social Media outlets (specialties, target audiences, professional affiliations, etc)
- Do you want help setting it up? (see below)
- Will it be self hosted or latch onto one of the bigger free servers?
- Will you be uploading your own posts?
- Does it need to be mobile friendly?
- Are you willing to use properly vetted and supportive search terms to maximize your blog’s SEO potential?
- How will you assemble these?
- Who will be your editor?
- How often do you want to publish a post?
Are you thinking of writing a book from the best of your blogs posts?
If you need any help planning, setting up or otherwise making a case for why you should be doing your own blog get in touch with Marti here. She’s set up blogs for others and has experience running several of her own successful blog projects, including this one here as well as the one she runs to help promote her art.